Introduction - C.Basic, a part of C:Basic Project
If you feel your Casio Basic programs are not running fast enough, C.Basic can free you of that frustration.
Get started with genuine Casio Basic program, then extended commands that Casio Basic alone perform.
- Currently C.Basic (Basic interpreter) runs on fx-9860G (SH3), fx-9860GII (SH3) and fx-9860GII (SH4A), but support for PRIZM fx-CG10 and fx-CG20 is planned.
- C.Basic will evolve into a Casio Basic compiler "C:Basic", which will run programs much faster than C.Basic (10 times from the looks of it).
All the instruction of C.Basic are in "README_E.txt" and "Manual_E.txt" included in C.Basic disribution package.
C.Basic is a part of C:Basic Project. The Project C:Basic will provide Add-In Casio Basic Interpreter and Compiler. At this moment C.Basic (single dot) an Basic interpreter is released.
C.Basic is supplied as an Add-In program for fx-9860G and fx-9860GII. fx-CG10/20 is also targetting platform.
In the future C:Basic (double dots, colon) will include compiler version.
What is C.Basic?
C.Basic is designed for Fast, compatible with genuine Casio Basic and also bringing in some of good features of fx-5800P.
C.Basic uses program file (*.g1m) stored in storage memory. Genuine Casio Basic uses also g1m file stored in main memory. A program source using only compatible commands can run in both of C.Basic and genuine Casio Basic.
Add-In Casio Basic Interpreter (& Complier)
copyright(c)2015 by sentaro21
e-mail to auther: sentaro21(at)pm.matrix.jp
e-mail to administrator & author of this site: Krtyski(at)gmail.com
- C.Basic is mostly compatible with genuine Casio Basic.
- Prgoams run at least 10 times faster in C.Basic.
- C.Basic's File List and Editor are easier to use than the usual ones.
- Can execute programs from storage memory, and supports sub-folder structures.
- Some Casio Basic commands are extended for more features.
- Newly-implemented comamnds for more powerful and flexible programming.
- C.Basic does not cover all of the origianl Casio Basic commands.
- Calculations do not yield the same results as the usual interpreter because C.Basic use double-precision floating point instead of fixed-point BCD.
- C.Basic stores PICT files in storage memory, hence using them is slower (at least until version 0.87 which uses the heap area from the main memory).
- There must be some bugs, unfortunately (^^; Please provide us with a bug report if you find any.
Almost compatible with vanilla Casio Basic
Flawless compatibioity is our goal, but some differences are intentional;
- "?" and "?→" imput commands are displayed on a single line. Dysplaying a string longer than 21 charactors will result in horizontal scroll instead of line wrap.
- When a graphing sketch commands is followed by the milti- statement command ":", the screen is not refreshed.
- Program running time is displayed when the program ends. This function can be triggered in the setup page.
- A Comment delimiters " ' " are allowed before carriage returns, Disp (output), ◢ (output), and ":" (Multi-statement Command) can be included in the comment string.
C.Basic also takes in user-friendly feature of fx-5800P;
- C.Basic supports a "?A" command as fx-5800P, as opposed to fx-9860G / fx-9860GII which only support "?→A".
- String output command " " is fully compatible with fx-5800P thus a bit deferent from fx-9860G/fx-986GII. See Topics for details.
We don't believe that C.Basic could damage your calculator, but the mail memory could still be unexpectedly damaged or destroyed, which would require a hole memory reset. Hence it is strongly recommended that you backup your main and storage memory data. Please be aware that you should only use C.Basic at your sole risk.
Disclaimer of Warranty
Use of C.Basic and C:Basic (hereinafter SOFTWARE) is at user’s sole risk. All materials, information, products, software, programs and service provided “as is”, with no warranties or guarantees whatsoever. Creators of SOFTWARE and support team who provide support documents, support web site, information and sample programs (hereinafter DEVELOPMENT TEAM) expressly disclaim to the fullest extent permitted by law, all express, implied, statutory, and other warranties, guarantees, or representations, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement of proprietary and intellectual property rights. Without limitation, DEVELOPMENT TEAM makes no warranty or guarantee that development of SOFTWARE will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free.
- Download C.Basic package at "Get Latest Version" page.
- Transfer CBasic.g1a file (Add-In file) to storage memory of your fx-9860GII (use PC link software FA-124A).
- To start up C.Basic, press [MENU] key and select C.Basic icon.
- To check version of C.Basic, press [SHIFT] [MENU] [F6](Ver.), then version is shown.
- When the version is same as what you want to install, the installation has been done correctly.
- To return back to File List, press [EXIT] and [EXIT] again.
- CBasic.g1a is rather large file, so Optimization of memory is recommended to do. Press [MENU], select MEMORY icon, press [EXE] and press [F5] (Optimization).
To start up C.Basic, press [MENU], select C.Basic icon then press [EXE].
There are two ways for copying a program file (g1m file) developed for the original Casio Basic interpreter into the File List in C.Basic;
▋Using the pre-installed memory manager
- To start up the memory manager, press [MENU], select Memory manager icon and press [EXE].
- Press [F1] to display the contents of the main memory.
- Move the cursor down to <PROGRAM> and
press [EXE]. You should now be seeing the list of all Casio Basic programs currently installed for the usual interpreter.
- Select the program file that you want to copy.
- Press [F1] (SEL) and [F2](COPY).
- Select "ROOT", press [EXE]; the calculator will ask you fo a file name.
- Enter an appropriate file name or just "A" then press [EXE].
- Press the [MENU] key to go back to the MAIN MANU
- Start C.Basic.
- In File List select the name you just entered, press [F6] and then [F2] (REN).
- You will be prompted with [Rename File Name?], and the original file name will be displayed (even though you typed in "A"), press [EXE].
- Now the file name has been corrected.
▋Using the PC link software (FA-124)
FA-124 is a PC link software which is included in the package of fx-9860G and fx-9860GII. For detailed operation please refer its manual. Recently CD is notincluded in a distribution package, download FA-124 from Casio Worldwide Education Website.
Once you have program file (g1m file), copy the g1m file to File List in C.Basic using the PC link software FA-124.
For detailed instructions, please refer to its manual.
To investigate and implement internal specification, "SuperH-based fx calculators (version 20)" gave useful information.
For file handling in C.Basic, "Wsc & Fvm V1.2 - Casio Fx-9860 Series On-calc C Compiler" gave useful information.
For Japanese Kana Fonts, font data and output routine, "何かの足跡" gave useful information.
For detailed feature and function of original Casio Basic, following site is referenced;
"e-Gadget - Programming Calculator (プログラム関数電卓)" by Krtyski
(almost contents are in Japanese).
I am grateful for everyone's cooperation.
This software is free software, in accordance with GPL Ver 2.